Saturday, April 26, 2008

Tonight was the dinner... Although it was not very eventful, I still enjoyed the function thoroughly...

At Momo, I met only the three Admits from the UAE... All girls; so we were four female admits;that's it! The head of Arabic Admissions, Mr. Nicholas Chammas, told me that 15 Arabs were admitted this year, and that there were more uncounted living in the US... Apparently, there are 5 Saudis, 4 Palestinians(and more in the US), 3 Lebanese(also more in the US), 3 Emiratean, and 1 Kuwaiti I think... (Listed is not their nationalities, but rather their locations)...

So we all mingled, and I met a few Alumni which was very nice... Next we sat down for dinner... One Alumnus joined our table - as I was sitting with my dad and his two alumni friends)... Anyway, he was very nice, and gave me his sister's contact number; a pediatrician in Boston who knows a lot of faculty... Dad's friend got my e-mail and told me he would put me in touch with the Head of the Agha Khan Islamic Architecture Masters Program, whose other position happens to be just below the Dean of the school.

The host, Mr. Adel Belcaid, gave a speech, followed by Mr. Chammas, who told of the statistics related to the admits. This year, the percentage of internationals was higher than usual, and the percentage of Arabs among the internationals was much higher than usual... We're 15 Arabs out of 120 International Admits, plus around like 10 Arab-Americans from the US as well...

BTW, In total, 1,554 Admits out of 13,396 Applicants (11,6%)

After the meal was over, an Alumnus whose name and position I cannot remember, although I think he was Emiratean, gave a speech. Unfortunately, I had to miss it, but one of the girls who attended, and who I've been in touch with, was kind enough to relay his message. I quote her text message: "He hope we get B's because if we get A's we'll keep worrying about staying on top lol... Also MIT will really build our personalities and he hopes we'll be cool nerds, and not only in our books. He was really funny." That is everything that happened tonight. :)

No comments: