A lot of you guys have been asking me about college applications and such... This is to all the future college applicants:
Okay so basically, I read a lot when I was younger, which helped my english... I didn't do anything early(SAT's), but I suggest you do... Like start studying for them junior year or the summer after it(I started in September of Senior year, so I had to rush)...
No matter what anyone says, even if you're not allowed to go somewhere, if you want to apply, apply... Start working on your essays as soon as possible... Go to the common application (www.commonapp.org) and look at the essay topics.. They never change... Start working on them Junior year, cause Senior year will be very full of things to do...
Also, apply to universities you want to go to even if you think you won't get in, and apply to safety schools(places you know, or hope, you'll get in)... I got into the school I thought I'd never get into.. You NEVER know what happens with an Admissions board...
Take your SAT I and your SAT II... Think about getting a teacher for the Math and for the Science subject(s) you do, cause it helps a lot... I took MATHI, PHYS, and French SATII's... They say Chem is easier than Phys, I suggest you take as many subjects as you are capable of... You can't sit for more than 3 at a time. Their dates are the same as the SAT I, and on each date you can only do SAT I or SAT II, not both... My suggestion is get SAT I out of the way, but don't wait for it's results until you take the SAT II... The closer to each other you take tests, the better chance you have to repeat them if you don't do well... I only got the chance to take each exam once... Not a good feeling, I tell you... (Note: Some universities require double Math, some double science SAT II)
DEFINITELY take the TOEFL because and International students you don't do well on your SAT English; no matter how hard you try, your TOEFL score will be better... Also, if it isn't too much trouble, take the IELTS too.. You never know which score you get is considered higher by which university, so give them all the options... Because they DO take the best score you have...
Anything you've done, put it in your application... Any art, any music, any summer things... And send in your scores from other exams you took, even if they weren't in English.... It helps when they see you care...
If you can, pick one essay question that has something like a resume in it, so you can talk about yourself...
Interviews help a lot... Be prepared for any question, but mostly, they wanna hear about your personality not your grades in the interview; how you treat your friends, how you overcome problems, what you do in spare time, etc. First question they asked me: "Tell me about yourself"... Also note: "Why should I tell the Admissions board to accept YOU, and not the other 100 students?" I didn't know how to answer lol.. Hopefully you'll have an answer...
Going to a High School summer program helps admission later on, and helps you get used to university life... Not to mention gives you a feel for the major and the courses...
So many universities in the US offer them now... Harvard, U Penn, Penn State, Columbia, Yale, Johns Hopkins MIT, etc. If you like one, and you're willing to give up 3-8 weeks of your summer(depending on the program you choose) do it...
Apply as early as possible, don't leave things till the deadline... Applying earlier shows you care, and you get priority...
Also, make sure you have someone read your essays... And read them yourself a few times... I submitted one essay with the wrong university name lol, and I know other people who did it too... I was rejected to that university, so you do the math ;)
If anything is optional for the program like a portfolio or a resume or anything, do it. But, don't add anything they don't mention (that goes for all university applications summer or undergraduate- I got that advice from the dean of admissions; only give what you're asked cause if you give too much they think you were too lazy to read instructions)
Get recommendations from teachers that know you and like you or that you like... If there's a good vibe between you, it shows on paper... Trust me...
If you go to a summer program, ask your teacher for recommendations...
If you know what you want to Major in, and you want to take a summer course, do something very similar to it, as it shows you are very interested in the subject, and that you know what you're getting into...
If you have a specific university in mind, and they offer summer programs, and you decide to go for a summer, take the program at that university because when you have a file there, you get noticed as an applicant more, and it makes admission easier...
Don't do anything stupid or not allowed during your summer course, and work as hard as possible... It's not too tiring, it's fun... But getting a good sheet helps, and honestly, you should benefit yourself as much as possible...
I know it's long, but it's all the info I have based on my experiences(I helped out like 5 or 6 people with their applications, besides doing my own)...
Good luck!!!
P.S. Feel free to give ANYONE the link to check it out...To be honest, we have great minds all over this world, and in this country... And if this helps them develop, then I'd be very happy :D
P.P.S. The whole concept of survival of the fittest and that to win you gotta beat everyone out there is ridiculous!!! Help people, because if nothing else, one day you will need help...
Friday, June 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment