My application story started last January, when I couldn't go to MIT's RSI because of, well, everything listed in my previous entry. Dad urged me to apply to other schools on his personal funding. So, I did. A few weeks later, Mr.A finds out about the whole thing, and gets really upset about what happened. He asks dad to tell me to check UPenn, and said he'd help me with the application if I decided to apply, which I did. A few days later, he introduces me to Mr.C, who is the Dean of MBA Admissions at Penn... Amazingly helpful as he is, he went through my whole application with me(even though he was jumping around from one country to the other around Asia, trying to recruit students, I assume), and gave me a few pointers about all university applications in general.
Fast forward 2 months, I go to Penn and have the time of my life(thanks to Mr.A's idea to search and apply for programs, and the help I got from the 3 of them in the whole application process; essays, portfolio, resume, etc.). Another 2 months later, I was back home going through Undergraduate Applications.
Mr.C kept in contact, checking up on my applications. Dad read everything I wrote, and added a few comments/notes without altering anything (he wanted the application to be MINE only). Mr.A, being the great guy he is, read everything I had to write(even though his work schedule is as hectic as I can imagine one to be). He urged me to consider taking the SATIIs, saying it wouldn't harm me to try. He also urged me to apply to my dream schools, even if it was more work; because getting accepted gives a great feeling. As a Wharton graduate, he read Essays for the admissions process for a while right after graduating, and so he knows what universities want. Here come the tips he gave me(along with a few things I learnt over this process):
-Your essay should reflect your personality and interests, not your grades; that's what transcripts are for.
-Be as natural as possible in your interview.
-Talk about "you" in your interview, not your grades, because again, they can read(considering they offer you a college education)
-Do your best on your applications/tests etc., but don't stress out too much
-Be curious about your interviewer (ask them about themselves)
Before doing all of that, though (and everything else I've put into my college blog), Mr.A was kind enough to go over everything I intended to write and form my essay plans with me, then went over everything I had written (weeks later) to check it all out.
Had it not been for the support I got from these 3 incredible people (who I consider my mentors in more ways than one, considering how great they are personality-wise, and in every other way) I would at the moment be freaking out, wait-listed at my top-choice university, with the AUS (in the UAE) as back-up. Instead, I am enrolled at MIT!!!
Mr.C, Mr.A, and Dad... I owe my education and my future successes to the three of you. I hope I can accomplish as much as possible, and reach the high standards that will make you proud of me. Your hard work will not go to waste. Thank you for everything. Also, thank you for taking the time to read this.

No comments:
Post a Comment