Monday, July 28, 2008

A Look Back

For some reason, while I was reading the application for a MiT Admissions Blogger position, I remembered a few days of this past year.

#1- When we cam back from a field trip one day, we were so hot and tired that our Computer Lab teacher was nice enough to give us the two periods off. She made each girl go up to the front of the class, and the rest of us would tell her her pros and cons. What my friends told me surprised me; I have always loved helping people. Sometimes, I get a thank you, but not always. I don’t care much because the important thing to me is to help, not to get recognition for it. That day, they told me how much it meant to them, and how they realized I put people ahead of myself. It was a very touching day; realizing that I was appreciated.

#2- The day I read my MiT decision letter. I was home from school sick, and quite bored. I decided to go onto all the university websites and check for decisions (back then MiT was somewhere I wasn’t allowed to go, and an admission seemed impossible to me). I figured none would be up, but that I’d try anyway. All of a sudden, I see that MiT decisions are released!!! I shivered as I waited for the browser to open one page after the next, until I finally got to the letter. At that point, my jaw was clicking, and my stomach ached. My eyes got a little blurry, and I was sure I was gonna tear up before I read the decision (partly because I assumed I was rejected, but hoped I was accepted). Well, I read Stu Schmill’s words, and immediately dialed my dad. His phone was off and I nearly cried. So, I dialed mom instead and told her. She was proud, but not so excited (she didn’t want me to go to the US alone). Then I called dad’s colleague, who I promised I would update, as he was as helpful as possible with all my applications. His reaction: “Holy Shit!!!! No way!!! That’s AMAAAAAAZING!!!! HOLY SHIT!!! I’m so proud of you!!!!” Then “Did you tell your dad?” Reply “Well no he’s in a meeting” So he’s like “Can I tell him?” I’m like “Yeah sure” so he walks into the conference room, interrupts the meeting, and goes like “Ammar I have Enas on the line... She got into MiT!!!!” Dad: “Holy Shit!!!! Wow!!!! Amazing!!!”. That was one of the (if not THE) proudest days of my life.

#3- The day I received my MiT sweatshirt by mail. Although I was still only 5% about going to MiT, I wanted something to remind me of my acceptance, so I ordered a sweatshirt from The COOP. So, the day it arrived, I immediately put it on. Dad laughed at me, and so did mom. I just loved the color (the MiT Crimson Red), the three letters on the front, and the feel of it on me.

#4- The Dubai MiT Alum/Admit dinner. I met a lot of alumni, and 3 other female admits. Everything I heard about MiT, I loved. I was 95% sold. I also decided to start a blog that night in honor of the moment.

#5- The day I decided I was meant to go to MiT. It was one of the best days of my life, because I knew what I was going to do with the next 4 years of my life, where I was going to do it, and how awesome it would be. The day started with a waitlisting offer to my intended university (which I didn’t want as much as MiT anymore, but my brother studies there and so my parents wanted me to join him). It quickly turned into a celebration =).

#6- The day I started reading Admissions blogs. I really understood why they were referenced so much in the MiT’12 FB Group, and I loved the site, making it a permanent daily-visited site.

#7- The day I found out Ben was leaving. It was a very sad day, because of the amazing things I had heard about him, and because of his awesome blog entries. Needless to say he will be missed.

No comments: