Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My College Story

For as long as I can remember (10-11 years) I have been interested in Architecture. Actually, I decided when I was 8 that I was going to become an architect. The location of my studies, however, was never determined. First, it was a sure no for me to leave the city, then I was allowed to go to the west coast. Eventually by last summer, my parents were willing I go to either Dubai or Montreal with my brother, which was what I wanted by then. So, I did everything I could to pursue that dream; I made sure I took Art instead of HomeEd in highschool, I took a summer high school program in Architecture, etc.

At Penn, I found out there were THREE different bachelors of Architecture (I only knew of two). B.Sc. in Architecture (which is officially called Architectural Engineering), B.Arch, and B.A. in Architecture.

I decided that since I love Science, and I want to be more of an engineer than an artist, I would go for a B.Sc.. So I looked up the best universities that offered it on different ranking sites (you know how most of them are). Guess what? MiT always came up as top 3-5.

I mustn't forget, however, another important thing. Last summer, before going to Penn, I was supposed to go to MiT’s RSi program, seeing as I had the best grade in the National Aptitude test. I didn’t get to go though, because our government decided to cancel the program for females. That made me think that MiT wanted me, but the government didn’t allow it. So, I decided to give myself a fair chance at admission again, and applied for the heck of applying.
I applied to 6 universities for Architecture; 5 of which offer a B.Sc.. I made sure to apply to only the best schools in the US for the major, seeing as the application was meant to be a trial to see if I get in, and not to actually attend.

Anyway back to this year; I got accepted thanks to the amazing people in the admissions office, who saw that MiT was the right place for me, even though I didn’t know it. Dad says MiT is an amazing place and Boston is a great city, and so he couldn’t say no to MiT even if he preferred Montreal, so it was now my decision. Then, his friend (who was the best supporter, encourager, and aid any high school student could ask for) talks to me about how even though it would be more difficult for me than would be joining my brother, it would make me a better person on so many scales - that the suffering the first few months was worth it. And now; MiT here I come!!! =)

Anyway, the point is; know why you’re applying to a certain dream school. I applied to 4 in the US, but only really ever cared about MiT, and I never knew why. Maybe it was the fact that I liked their application the most. Maybe it was the fact that it’s reputation is better than the rest. Maybe the fact that it’s MiT. Whatever it is; MiT’s was the only Admissions site I checked every day of all the schools I applied to (well, and McGill, because that was my other option).

No comments: